What is Dysphagia?
Dysphagia is also known as difficulty swallowing, as taking the food to the stomach takes more effort than usual. Usually caused by muscle or nerve issues, dysphagia can be painful. It is more common in babies and older people.
Although dysphagia is regarded as a sign or symptom, it is often used for describing a condition in its own right. There are different causes of dysphagia, and there is no serious underlying problem if it happens once or twice.
What is dysphagia?
It is known as dysphagia to swallow anything that involves different nerves and muscles and makes it a complicated procedure. However, it occurs due to difficulty anywhere in the swallowing procedure.
Types of dysphagia
Following are its three types:
- Oral dysphagia (high dysphagia) is where the problem is in the mouth caused by tongue weakness after a stroke. The person might feel pain in transporting food from the mouth and difficulty in chewing food. Pharyngeal dysphagia is the one where the problem is in the throat. Issues in the throat are caused by neurological problems affecting the nerves—for example, stroke, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Esophageal dysphagia (low dysphagia) is the one where the problem is in the esophagus. It happens due to irritation or blockage and requires a surgical procedure.
Causes of dysphagia
The following are the causes of dysphagia.
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is an untreatable form of progressive neurodegeneration. The nerves in the brain and the spine lose their function over time.
- Achalasia, where the lower esophageal muscle does not relax enough to allow food into the stomach
- Diffuse spasm where the muscles in the esophagus uncoordinatedly contract.
- A stroke happens when the brain cells die due to a lack of oxygen caused by reduced blood flow.
- The esophageal ring is a small section that the esophagus narrows and prevents solid food from passing through.
- Eosinophilic esophagitis highly elevates the levels of eosinophils in the esophagus. Eosinophils are a type of white blood cell present in the esophagus. These eosinophils proliferate, attacking the gastrointestinal system, leading to difficulty swallowing food and vomiting.
- Multiple sclerosis occurs when the central nervous system is attacked by the destroying myelin, the immune system that protects the nerves.
- Myasthenia gravis (Goldflam disease) happens when the muscles under voluntary control become easily weak and exhausted. It occurs because there is some issue with the stimulation of nerves contracting the muscles.
- Parkinsonism syndromes and Parkinson’s disease is progressive where the degenerative neurological disorder impairs the patient’s motor skills.
Symptoms of dysphagia
Many people suffer from dysphagia and are unaware of it. The undiagnosed dysphagia may also lead to malnutrition and dehydration.
– Choking while eating
– Gagging or coughing while swallowing a loop
– Stomach or food acid backing up into the throat
– Rapid weight loss
– Regurgitation (bringing food back up)
– Unable to control food in the mouth
– Unable to control saliva in the mouth
Providing effective treatment is a challenge as dysphagia is often linked to neurological problems. However, it can be treated as per the patient’s condition via therapies, diet, dilation, and other ways.
At this time I am ready to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming yet again to read other news.
If some one needs expert view concerning running a blog then i propose him/her to go to see this website,
Keep up the pleasant job. 0mniartist asmr
Wow, this post is pleasant, my sister is analyzing such things, so I am going to
let know her. 0mniartist asmr
With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any
issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My site has a lot of exclusive
content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot
of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do
you know any ways to help stop content from being ripped
off? I’d truly appreciate it. 0mniartist asmr
We’re a bunch of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
Your website provided us with valuable information to work
on. You’ve done a formidable activity and our entire community
can be grateful to you. 0mniartist asmr
Spot on with this write-up, I honestly believe that this website needs a great deal more
attention. I’ll probably be back again to see more, thanks for the information! asmr 0mniartist
each time i used to read smaller articles that as well clear their motive, and that is also happening with this article which I am reading at this place.
Attractive portion of content. I simply stumbled upon your site
and in accession capital to say that I acquire in fact loved account your blog posts.
Any way I will be subscribing on your feeds and even I success
you get right of entry to constantly rapidly.
Hello my loved one! I wish to say that this post is awesome, nice written and include approximately all important infos.
I’d like to peer extra posts like this . asmr 0mniartist
My brother recommended I might like this website.
He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how
much time I had spent for this information! Thanks! asmr 0mniartist